Thursday 16 December 2010

Black Christmas*


Come on not everyone can like the same things. Currently (and for the past 2 months in the UK apparently) the spirit is one: Christmas. The period when children are happy getting gifts, eating sweets, taking photos with a wanna-be Santa Claus wearing a white fake beard and kitschy, cheap red costume. The snow of course is the one thing I like, but it is not so typical in December (well it is this year) and it just makes the whole spirit more "happy", fake-happy in my opinion.
Anyway, the thing is that Christmas can be a wonderful happy holiday, people spending time with their families and beloved ones, but doesn't this whole spirit leave a bitter taste? You know the feeling of wanting more but at the same time regretting the whole process in the first place -the eating, drinking, partying, gathering- as you then miss it even more than when you didn't have it at all.
On the other hand, I will probably appreciate the holidays much more now that I'm away from home and this is my one chance to go back and actually get-together.
But Christmas, just like Easter-Valentines Day etc, promote consumerism more than they should. They distort the jolliness these periods should have, as constantly buying doesn't necessarily connect the family. Although I must admit it is quite nice to have gifts under the tree /but that's just my capitalist side talking.
Well this inner discussion didn't get me anywhere.. But I still think Christmas is presented much more happily than it should as you are much less happy when it ends. But I'm more the "live the moment" type so probably this Christmas theory isn't quite true, but the "fakeness" is. Just because its Christmas everyone has to be happy? NO-just like any other day.
I'll might have to reconsider some of my "christmas theories" though..
Oh here's a song I really like (yes I know, it is a Christmas song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rYmzQ8C9Q

X, f.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fani, thanks for the comment on my blog sale post - if you would like the skirt please give me your paypal email address so I can send you an invoice. Then once you have paid I will send it :) Thank you

    Emily xx
    www.trashfashiononline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete